Thursday, October 9, 2014

Root Beer Float Cake

Kayla started not drinking soda (and I've since joined as well) but was really craving root beer so when I saw this recipe using root beer extract without the carbonation (which I think is really what she was trying to avoid) I wanted to make it for her to help satisfy her missing the root beer. The cake and frosting didn't really have a strong root beer flavor to me so I added more root beer extract to the frosting then was called for, it definitely made a difference! I liked how moist this cake was but it was a little over the top sweet for me. 


Root Beer Float Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 package white cake mix (18.25 ounces)
  • 1 cup root beer
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. root beer extract (McCormicks)
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. root beer extract (McCormicks)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, root beer, water, oil, extract, and eggs. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes or stir by hand for 3 minutes.
Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, and extracts. Gradually fold in the powdered sugar.
Beat until soft peaks form. Frost the cooled cake. Store in a refrigerator before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment