Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chocolate Rolo Cookies

Derek gave me a cookbook for Christmas (Chocolate Never Faileth) and I've been meaning to try something from it. A few weeks ago Kayla was over and we were talking and I decided to start looking for something new to try, I was listing names to Kayla of suggestions and she jumped on this one. These cookies were awesome but a little more work than I really wanted to put into cookies all of the time. I will probably make these again but they most likely wont be ones that I make all of the time. 


Chocolate Rolo Cookies
Recipe came from Chocolate Never Faileth

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour (see note)
3/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
40-50 rolo candies, unwrapped (one standard bag of rolos)

Preheat oven to 375. Grease cookie sheets. Cream sugar, brown sugar, and butter. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add flour (see Note below), cocoa, and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky to work with your hands. Pinch off walnut-sized balls of dough and wrap a piece of dough around each Rolo. Place on cookie sheets a couple of inches apart. Bake 7-9 minutes, until the cookie is set but the top is still soft to the touch. Don't overcook, or the caramel will get hard. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for about five minutes before transferring them to the wire racks; doing that will allow the cookie bottoms to set up and will prevent caramel from oozing out. 

Note: Josi uses 2 1/2 cups flour. Maybe because of humidity, that little flour resulted in such sticky dough that it was totally unworkable for me. I had to add another 1/2 cup. Use as much flour as you need to result in a workable dough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment